Our CEO, Liesl Bernard, recently wrote an article for Cannabis Business Executive on recruiting in the cannabis industry in 2020. “Cannabis Industry Recruiting Best Practices” examines the status of the U.S. cannabis job market after facing an unprecedented pandemic, and discusses the important differences when recruiting for executive vs. non-executive positions.
“With all of the turmoil and challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, the resiliency of the cannabis industry has been a welcome bright spot in 2020,” begins Liesl. “According to one study, the number of people working in the U.S. cannabis industry is predicted to reach almost 300,000 by the end of the year, almost a 50% increase from 2019.”
As the national market becomes more saturated and competition continues to increase, cannabis businesses will continue to seek experienced and qualified talent. Liesl goes on to discuss some of the key findings from CannabizTeam’s 2020 Q3 Salary Guide.
The rest of the article explores some of the major differences between cannabis executive search and recruiting non-executive employees in the cannabis industry:
- “The cannabis industry is still young, and effective leadership is often the difference between success and failure for a new business,” explains Liesl. “Filling cannabis executive positions with qualified candidates is vital to profitability, sustained growth and creating competitive edge.”
- “As the industry continues to flourish, many employees are looking to enter the space, and many are starting in entry-level positions and working their way up.”
Liesl’s bottom line advice for cannabis staffing during trying times:
- Define the purpose of your business
- Prioritize building a leadership team that aligns with your company values
- Hire employees who are flexible and adaptable to handle the ups and downs of the industry
- Focus on quality over quantity
- Build your team for longevity
Cannabis Business Executive is an online publication with the mission to provide cannabis industry leaders with the information they need to run their businesses successfully. CBE strives to advance the cannabis industry by helping industry leaders stay on top of emerging trends and news.
To read Liesl’s entire best practices article, visit: https://www.cannabisbusinessexecutive.com/2020/11/cannabis-industry-recruiting-best-practices/.
Searching for top talent for your own cannabis business? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive updates and profiles on qualified candidates.